Residence permit or Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) for EU Students in Spain

Students from the EU and the EEA do not need a student visa in order to study in Spain.


If your stay in Spain will be longer than 90 days, it is mandatory that you apply for a residence permit or Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) within 30 days of arrival. This is done at your local Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros). 


Make sure to bring a national identity card or passport, as well as a valid European Health Insurance Card with you in order to be officially added to the population register.

Student Visa for non-EU Students in Spain

Unless you’re from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you’ll need a student visa to come to Spain to study, take part in a student exchange, carry out research or training, or work as an unpaid intern or volunteer for more than three months.


Before you can apply for a study visa, you have to find a program with a recognized institution in Spain. You then must get confirmation that you’re accepted to study there. This can be in the form of a certificate or letter of acceptance.

Usually, the requirements for a student visa consist of the following:

  • A valid passport.
  • Medical insurance that will cover any costs for the duration of your studying in Spain. Having student medical insurance is very important in case of a sudden illness or accidents.
  • Proof that you have the financial resources and accommodation for the period for which you are requesting the visa, and where applicable, the funds to guarantee your return to your country.
  • Bank statement that is proof you can support yourself during your studies

Unless you are doing a shorter course, your program will last longer than six months so you will also need:

  • A criminal record certificate for Spain and your previous countries of residence in the last five years for crimes included under Spanish legislation.
  • A medical certificate stating that you do not suffer from any diseases with serious repercussions for public health in accordance with the provisions of international health regulations.

It is important to know that you can’t enter Spain with a tourist visa and then apply for a student visa. You will have to return to your home country and apply from there.


Since the processing of documents can take time, make sure to apply in advance, preferably two to three months before traveling.


Student visas in Spain are flexible and students can work along with their studies.


International students can ask for a work permit from local authorities to work 20 hours per week.  However, you can only work while studying in Spain until the expiry of your student visa.


Due to overwhelming demand for student visas in Spain, it is important that you allow enough time before departing for your visa to be processed. Follow the rule of thumb and always apply at least a month in advance.

The Best Study Abroad Ever

Our consultation is FREE. We will get back to you within 24 hours


Our consultation is FREE. We will get back to you within 24 hours
Londres Ville Universitaire

Our team are experts in internship, education and support. They have made our process super simple and we love to answer your questions and help with decisions. Once we know your objectives for studying abroad, the type of environment you prefer to live in, your chosen career path or plan, your background, educational history and length of overseas study, we can then quickly provide you with several of the very best options .