Short-term study visa

You can apply for a Short-term study visa on the following conditions :

  • you’re doing a short course of study in the UK
  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

You need a Standard Visitor visa if you’re an academic visitor.


You cannot apply if you qualify for British citizenship – including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.


What you can and cannot do.


The Short term study visa allows you to do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course and do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad.

On the contrary, you cannot study at a state-funded school, work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business.


You can stay in the UK for the length of your course or research.


You may be allowed to stay an extra 30 days if your total stay in the UK would be no more than 6 months, or no more than 11 months if you’re both:


If you do not normally need a visa to visit the UK, you can study for up to 6 months without applying in advance. You must see a border officer when you arrive in the UK – do not use the ePassport gates.


If you want to study for longer than 6 months, you must apply for a Short-term study visa in advance.

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.


General student visa (Tier 4)

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

  • have been offered a place on a course
  • can speak, read, write and understand English
  • have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
  • are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you start your course.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. 

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less and up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months.

The General student visa (Tier 4) allows you to :

  • study
  • work as a student union sabbatical officer
  • apply from inside or outside the UK
  • apply to extend your stay
  • work in most jobs – depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have

On the contrary, you will not be able to get public funds, work in certain jobs, for example professional sportsperson or sports coach or study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school).

You may be able to bring in family members (dependants).

The Best Study Abroad Ever

Our consultation is FREE. We will get back to you within 24 hours


Our consultation is FREE. We will get back to you within 24 hours
Londres Ville Universitaire

Our team are experts in internship, education and support. They have made our process super simple and we love to answer your questions and help with decisions. Once we know your objectives for studying abroad, the type of environment you prefer to live in, your chosen career path or plan, your background, educational history and length of overseas study, we can then quickly provide you with several of the very best options .